This GPS receiver comes with embedded antenna and only needs 5 pins to talk to your Arduino or MCU.
Pin 1: GND Ground
Pin 2: VCC Power supply of 3.3 ~ 3.5 VDC
Pin 3: TX Port A serial data output (GPS out); N-8-1, NMEA v3.00 output
Pin 4: RX Port A serial data input (GPS in); N-8-1, accepts commands from external applications, e.g. SiRFDemo.
Pin 5: 5 PWR_CTRL Hardware controlled power saving pin.
If this function is used, it is usually connected to a GPIO pin of a micro-processor.
"Low": for normal run
"High" or floating: turn off VCC for power saving
Tie it to low if this pin is not used.
Not only handheld but also any other GPS applications can share the following major features
- Easy adoption with best performance
- Integrated antenna and EMC protection
- Built-in backup battery allowing hot/warm starts and better performance
- No external component demand, just connect and use.
- Minimum RF and EMI efforts
- Small size of 18 (W) x 21 (L) x 7 (H) (mm) with patch antenna of 18x18x4mm.
- Fully implementation of ultra-high performance SiRFstarIII single chip architecture
- High tracking sensitivity of -159dBm
- Low power consumption of 40mA at full tracking
- Hardware power saving control pin allowing power off GPS via GPIO
- SR-92 could be arranged at best reception location inside housing
- Firmware upgradeable for future potential performance enhancements